The Drug Report

Facts about what can go wrong when people use drugs

  • The Best Drug Info Ever?

    A big part of my inspiration for The Drug Report was Beth Pearce's amazing film, VOICE OF THE VICTIMS: TRUE STORIES OF ECSTASY AND KETAMINE. The film simply lets the victims of drug tragedies tell their stories. It's real life, it's undeniable, and it's incredibly powerful. I'm sure Beth has saved many, many lives, and it is my hope that this blog will do so as well. To learn more about her film, go to Voice Of The Victims.


    A friend of mine likes to say, "You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts."

    When it comes to drugs, there are lots of opinions out there: Some think drugs are safe and fun, some think they're dangerous and frightening, and many think everything in between.

    But facts are facts, and when someone dies from drugs, or someone is murdered by a person who is on drugs, or is raped by someone who has given them drugs, that's just a fact. Drug users who actively promote drug use rail against these facts, and I expect they'll be commenting regularly on The Drug Report. But they can't change the facts.

A Pharm Death In Australia

Posted by Childress on July 5, 2006

“Pharm parties,” where young people take prescription drugs and wash them down with alcohol, have claimed another young life.  From the Townsville (Australia) Bulletin:

A dangerous new party game is sweeping Townsville — and your kids could be playing.

Local teens have been concocting their own party drug, mixing a potentially lethal combination of alcohol and prescription drugs.

A concerned father alerted the Townsville Bulletin to the deadly new fad sweeping teen parties.

The father, who would not reveal his identity to protect his teenage daughters, said local teens were playing with fire and all parents and teachers should be made aware.

The father said he learned of the terrifying new trend as he spoke to his daughters, trying to shed light on the senseless overdose death of Townsville teenager Melanie Boyd last week.

”We spoke to many parents and friends over the weekend to try and help the girls come to terms with this. I learned some things and every parent needs to know what’s going on out there,” the father wrote.

He said ‘Pharm’ or pharmaceutical parties were common among many Townsville teens.

He described the party as follows:

”Each attendee brings a ‘pill’ from home. They are crushed up, mixed together and all placed in a bowl. Each child takes a dose and washes it down with a shot of alcohol. The winner is the first to throw up.

”Welcome to the real world. Have you got any prescription tablets missing from home?”

By all accounts, Melanie Boyd was a good kid at a bad party.  Parents and kids need to get up to speed fast on pharm parties, because the risk they pose is so profound.

3 Responses to “A Pharm Death In Australia”

  1. Laurie Boyd said

    As Melanie’s father, my anger at my daughter’s senseless and avoidable death rages unabated. No-one appears to be taking this seriously. Melanie was fed a deadly mix of alcohol, cannibis, prescription drugs and, finally, speed by fellow students from a supposedly “exclusive” school. The response from the school? “Not our problem – it occurred after school hours.” The school has no drugs awareness program. They have lied to the press about that. The two students who supplied Melanie with the drugs have wealthy parents. They will not be expelled. Instead, they are offered counselling to help them “cope with” Melanie’s death. Both these spoilt little brats have shown no remorse – indeed, they are bragging on the internet chat rooms that “it will all blow over in a week”. They will both graduate and claim the prestige of the school as their own. My Melanie will never graduate. Where is the Justice?

  2. Childress said

    My deepest sympathy goes to you and your family over the tragic loss of your daughter. As shocking as your story is, I’m afraid it’s not uncommon. I know of a similar case in the U.S. at a Christian (Lutheran) college, where a boy was killed in a college dorm when his roommate slipped him GHB to knock him out so he (the roommate) could have sex with a girl.

    The school did nothing; the local law enforcement did nothing, and the boy’s two parents and sister are left with their grief and their anger.  In this case, the culprit never went to jail or expressed remorse, but he ended up dying of a drug overdose about five years after his crime.  Had he gone to jail, perhaps he would have had the opportunity to clean up his life.

    The school should have a drug education program, for sure. Please check out — this film is real and believable, and should be shown to all incoming classes.

  3. Laurie Boyd said

    I am pleased to report that the orginal information I had received was incorrect. The school has now taken appropriate action and has reviewed it drug awareness education program.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: