A Huffing Death in Wales
Posted by Childress on July 30, 2006
Here’s the story of Helen Coffey, a 14-year-old Welsh girl who died last week from huffing a deodorant spray:
Her sister Dorothy, 21, told how she discovered Helen foaming at the mouth at the family home in Rumney, Cardiff.
She said, ‘Helen never abused substances so she would not have been inhaling in deliberately.
‘When I was getting ready for bed I heard a squeaking noise outsider. Our eight-year- old sister Mary-Rose went to investigate and she found Helen lying on the floor outside the front door of the house.
‘Helen was shaking, foaming at the mouth and her hands were clenched. Helen had a very rapid heartbeat and we tried to put her in the car but she was too heavy.
‘Our dad turned up and we got her in the car to drive her to the nearest police station where they called an ambulance.’
Paramedics examined Helen but she had gone into cardiac arrest with blood coming from her nose and mouth.
The inquest heard paramedics carried out cardiopulmonary resuscitation as they took her to hospital. But she died a week later.
The hearing was told the can of Deofab room spray was found in the bathroom wrapped in tissue paper.
Huffing — inhaling solvents — most often involves kids in their pre-teens or early teens. Aerosol cans contain butane, which can make you high … and kill you.
It kills more people annually than Ecstasy, according to some sources. I haven’t posted on it previously simply because I haven’t been including it in my searches.