Fentanyl Blamed in Teen’s Death
Posted by Childress on August 6, 2006
Prescription drug abuse has claimed the life of an Georgia teen. Johathan Hatcher died last November, but the toxicology report was apparently released recently. From the Columbus (GA) Ledger-Enquirer:
Jonathan Alexander Hatcher, the 19-year-old Columbus teen who went to sleep in a hotel room Nov. 1, 2005, and never woke up, died of an overdose of a powerful pain medication called fentanyl, said Muscogee County Coroner James Dunnavant.
The autopsy report was inconclusive, but the toxicology report showed the official cause of Jonathan’s death was fentanyl toxicity, Dunnavant said. Jonathan apparently had a lethal amount of the drug — a highly addictive and potent pain killer — in his system.
The question remains: Why was Jonathan taking such a powerful narcotic? Dunnavant said he believed Jonathan suffered from back pain, but wasn’t sure.
According to his family, Jonathan was a healthy, young man with many friends and a bright future. He loved racing his motorcycles and laughing with his friends. He was even a member of Hardaway High’s Teen Advisors, a group dedicated to abstaining from drugs, alcohol, inhalants and tobacco.
“He loved life,” said his father, Jon Hatcher, of Acworth, Ga. “I can’t imagine he would take that stuff knowingly.”
The story also reported that Hatcher had abused the ADHD drug Ritalin.
There’s still a lot of mystery about how Jonathan’s death came about, but one thing appears to be clear: He did not intend to die. This was a tragic accident.