Methadone Death in Ireland
Posted by Childress on August 17, 2006
Neil Wilson Laffin, 23, like many who use drugs, had added methadone to his drug repertoire of ecstasy and marijuana, even though he was not a heroin addict. The results:
On the evening of Saturday, December 18, Mr Laffin was found dead by a friend.
Deborah Taylor said she had gone to see if Mr Laffin wanted some food as he had been in bed all day with a sore mouth.
She said when she found him: “He was lying face down. His lips were black and he wasn’t breathing.”
An ambulance was called and despite attempts to revive him, Mr Laffin was pronounced dead at 7.59pm.
Professor Jack Crane, state pathologist, concluded: “Death was caused by poisoning of methadone.”
Professor Crane said there had been a “relatively high concentration” of the drug in the young man’s system.
“There can be no doubt that this was the cause of death in this case,” he said.
One question remains, according to the Irish Times: Police are investigating whether Laffin’s housemate, who had a prescription for methadone “forced” (the Times’ word) Laffin to take the drug.