Warning to Brit Vodka Drinkers!
Posted by Childress on September 15, 2006
Funny how things work out … just the other day I made a point about alcohol being safe, medically at least, because of rigorous control over its manufacture. Now this:
British drinkers have been warned to look out for illegal bottles of vodka that could blind or kill, the Sun newspaper reports.
A bottle of Kremlin Vodka with sixteen times the recommended maximum amount of methanol was found on sale at a provincial shop the paper said. Trading Standards officers fear it is available across the North West and urged consumers to contact them if they come across it.
Methanol is a toxic chemical often used in bootleg liquor. Even moderate amounts can kill and initial effects may include drowsiness, inebriation. Delayed symptoms include blindness.
Kremlin Vodka comes in 1-litre clear glass bottles with a picture of the Kremlin on a red label and marked 37.5% vol, Bottled in Russia.