Posted by Childress on September 28, 2006
From the Louisville Courier Journal:
Twice this summer, police in Kentucky and Southern Indiana said drivers in serious accidents had been inhaling from compressed- air cans used to clean keyboards and other items.
In July, 10 people were hurt when a teenager accused of huffing drove his car through a crowd at the Madison Regatta in Indiana.
The next month, a 20-year-old driver from Guilford, Ind., died and three others were injured in a car crash on Interstate 275 in Kentucky; police said the Indiana man had been huffing.
And from the Fresno Bee:
Two Fresno police officers suffered minor injuries Tuesday afternoon when a motorist slammed into a parked van outside a convenience store, pushing it into the officers as they sat on motorcycles, police said.
Mark Feathers, 18, was booked on suspicion of driving under the influence, hit and run, being an unlicensed driver, reckless driving and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, said Sgt. Dave Gibeault. …
Gibeault said Feathers had been “huffing,” or inhaling fumes from an aerosol can, and was involved in a hit-and-run collision at Cedar and Highway 168 seconds before the collision with the officers.
Posted in Huffing | 1 Comment »
Posted by Childress on August 19, 2006
Following up on my earlier post, “A Huffing Death from Butane,” there’s this news item from the Scunthorpe (England) Evening Telegraph:
The mother of a village postmistress sold a potentially lethal canister of butane gas to a 14-year-old schoolgirl.
Malcolm Osborne, prosecuting for North Lincolnshire Council’s trading standards department, said an under-age test purchase was carried out at the South Ferriby post office on December 20.
He told North Lincolnshire magistrates the department had been carrying out a campaign to stamp out sales of lighter fuel to youngsters. And under-age test purchases had been carried out at a total of 25 premises – a dozen of which resulted in sales.
Mr Osborne said the department had previously written to retailers reminding them of their legal obligations. And, pointing out the lethal consequences of abusing butane, he said solvent sniffing by teenagers resulted in more deaths per year than the drug ecstasy.
The two 14-year-old girls went into the South Ferriby shop at about 11.45am on the day in question.
“They were instructed not to lie about their age but to give their true age if challenged,” said Mr Osborne.
But no challenge was made and one of the girls was able to buy a canister of lighter fuel containing butane gas.
Let’s hope the publicity helps shopkeepers … and kids and parents! … to better understand what a serious risk huffing poses.
Posted in Huffing | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Childress on August 14, 2006
Here’s a tragic comment to my earlier post A Huffing Death in Wales that detailed the tragic death of a 14-year-old girl from huffing — inhaling fumes from solvents. It tells of another sad death of a young person from huffing:
well we dont no exactly but late on june 16/early 17th of june my brother wasnt so lucky and didnt get to see his family,he died in a chair in his room infront of a tv.he died by a butane can of cooking gas.
i just want everyone to no that no matter how much u fight with ur family please tell all of them how much u love them cause u never no when it will be there last day. i think its good that u r expressing what happened to that girl and making sure people are aware of what could happen.
I’m sorry for your loss, dear. If he could, I know your brother would want to be back with you. I’m sure it was never his intention to die. Inhaling gases is very, very risky.
Posted in Huffing | 1 Comment »
Posted by Childress on July 30, 2006
Here’s the story of Helen Coffey, a 14-year-old Welsh girl who died last week from huffing a deodorant spray:
Her sister Dorothy, 21, told how she discovered Helen foaming at the mouth at the family home in Rumney, Cardiff.
She said, ‘Helen never abused substances so she would not have been inhaling in deliberately.
‘When I was getting ready for bed I heard a squeaking noise outsider. Our eight-year- old sister Mary-Rose went to investigate and she found Helen lying on the floor outside the front door of the house.
‘Helen was shaking, foaming at the mouth and her hands were clenched. Helen had a very rapid heartbeat and we tried to put her in the car but she was too heavy.
‘Our dad turned up and we got her in the car to drive her to the nearest police station where they called an ambulance.’
Paramedics examined Helen but she had gone into cardiac arrest with blood coming from her nose and mouth.
The inquest heard paramedics carried out cardiopulmonary resuscitation as they took her to hospital. But she died a week later.
The hearing was told the can of Deofab room spray was found in the bathroom wrapped in tissue paper.
Huffing — inhaling solvents — most often involves kids in their pre-teens or early teens. Aerosol cans contain butane, which can make you high … and kill you.
It kills more people annually than Ecstasy, according to some sources. I haven’t posted on it previously simply because I haven’t been including it in my searches.
Posted in Huffing | 3 Comments »